Saturday 20 July 2019

We're Off To See the Wizard

Who loves the old classic The Wizard of Oz? I sure do , bt then anything with witches and wizards always gets my vote! 

Today I'd like to take you for a wander along the dusty old yellow brick road, as I share with you how I created this piece of artwork using the brilliant Oz characters from Visible Image . They all have so much character don't you think?


I have made a few cards with individual characters , but I wanted them all to feature together in a piece, and with my trusty drawing gum I was able to achieve this easily. On an 8" sheet of mixed media card I first stamped Dorothy and Scarecrow. I used the gum to fist mask Dorothy, and when it was dry I was able to stamp the Tin Man. The next step was to mask both him and Scarecrow, and stamp Cowardly Lion between them so that he appears behind. 


I sketched some simple scenery in behind them, and set to work painting with watercolour paints. I always tend to do my backgrounds first, as that way if I mess it up and I'm not happy with it I haven't wasted time with detailing the main images, which can be really frustrating ( trust me I have learned that the hard way!) 


To create the brick road I first painted it yellow ( of course!) , and then used a watercolour marker to add the detail , before softly blending the lines with water. 



Of course all paths lead to somewhere, and in this case The Emerald City. But first there is a poppy field to negotiate en route as I recall so I popped that in with some red marker dots, to create the illusion of one in the background. On the brow of the hill I drew the city, sitting proudly under the all important rainbow. 


I added some definition to the hills with pencils, and then set about colouring the characters with alcohol markers, which really brought the whole thing to life. 




This really was so much fun to do and I am thrilled to be able to share it as a member of the Visible Image guest DT. I guess that just goes to prove that, just like the sentiment says,  dreams really do come true. 



Lynda
x

No comments:

Post a Comment