Saturday 18 April 2020

Renaissance Stencil Wall Art

 It's my weekend to share a little more Visible Image inspiration and today I am focusing on the absolutely stunning Renaissance stencil. This stencil is so incredibly detailed that I wanted to create a piece of wall art where it is the main feature, rather than being relegated to a background image. 



To create this piece I used a thick piece of quality black card stock, cut slightly larger than the stencil itself. I taped the stencil down over it, and applied gold texture paste through it. A little tip for this is to load a good quantity of texture paste along the top of the tape, and use a large scraper that covers the entire width of the stencil , allowing you to carefully swipe the paste down in one go to cover, rather than applying with a smaller palette knife , which wont give as even coverage. 

Then I lifted the stencil carefully, and lightly tapped some copper mica powders over the top while the paste was still wet. 


I wanted this piece to have lots of texture to it, and so to achieve this I used a heat tool to warm the paste until it bubbled, before moving on the the next area. When the whole surface had been heated, I put aside to cool thoroughly and harden. 



I created a tile for the centre by thinly rolling out air drying clay, and lightly pressing the stencil into it. One hard I painted with acrylic paint and enhanced the raised areas with a little gilding wax.


When both pieces were dry, I added some words from the Beauty Is Art set, and balanced out with a Tim Holtz word tile and adhered the centre tile with gel medium to finish. 





I must admit that I am thrilled with the way this piece turned out. I think it's definitely one for the craft room wall!





Visible Image have a great challenge running over on the Facebook group at the moment. If you love rainbow colours this is one you will love so do pop along and check it out. 


Visible Image Links



No comments:

Post a Comment