Thursday 14 January 2021

Bee One of a A Kind - An Artful Days DT Post

Today I have a quick turorial for you on a mixed media project that I have created for Artful Days . If you love mixed media but haven't had a poke around the website yet, I highly recommend you do. So many luscious treasures there to give any project the wow factor!


My project is all about bee-ing unique. There is something about bees that I just love (don't we all?), and the little steampunk bee embellishment from Artful Days is just perfect for me as I also love a bit of steampunk. 

Here's how I achieved it:


Step 1: I used honeycomb embossed card to cover an mdf hexagon that I had in my stash. 


Step 2: Then I had a play with my design. I find it always helps to photograph my layout, then I not only have a reference, but I also think it helps me to look at a photograph to assess whether a design works.


Step 3: I covered with Stamperia Vivace paints . The metallic gold is so shimmery. I love it!


Step 4: I applied texture paste and texture sand on my cogs.


Step 5: While the cogs dried I used a cogs stencil and archival ink to add some detail to my base. 



Step 6: I stamped some cogs and text randomly, and used Sparkling Sand  Wow embossing powder to add some sparkle and dimension. 



Step 7: Double check the layout.



Step 8: I used Finnabair Patina Paste and Perissa WOW embossing powder to create a gorgeous rust effect on the cogs. I also smeared some amber crackle paste on my base board and allowed to dry naturally. 


Step 9: Once the crackle was dry I firmly adhered the mdf honeycomb pieces, and once the glue set, I filled sections randomly with Pebeo Prisme paints. Once it had gone tacky I added gold seed beads for more detail ( if you add these too soon they will sink!)


Step 10: To finish I went to town with metal and paper flowers, beads and other embellishments. I spritzed the flowers with Lindys sprays to add a little more shimmer, and edged the hexagon with a little gold wax. And of course added a quote (Tim Holtz quote chip)  as no mixed media piece is complete without one to me!





I may be biased, but I think this piece turned out Bee-autifully! 

If you want more inspiration from the Artful Days Creative Team why not join the Artful Play Days Facebook group. It's a great place to hang out. We have regular challenges ( with prizes) and lots of crafty chat. You can find us here . We love to see all your creations too so don't be shy and jump right in.

Have a great day!

xxx









 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutly beautiful, love how you explained your make , so easy to follow. Thank you

    ReplyDelete